This is my favorite part...yup - Power tools in the kitchen. Very very fun.
Drill two holes in the eye of the coconut.
Drain out the coconut milk:
Place the coconut directly on the rack of a 350°F oven for about 15 minutes, until the shell cracks:
Break it, crack it, drop it on the floor (I actually did this, and I hope it wouldn't ever break a piece of tile....) do whatever you need to do to get the hard shell off. This was the trickiest part, but it was kind of fun. Just be careful, the shell can shoot across the room - trust me.
Finally, you'll end up with this:
Using a vegetable peeler, peel away the last layer of skin (this part is pretty easy):
Then grate the coconut using a food processor. If you don't have a food processor, wait until you do - it would take WAY too long to grate this by hand.
And, there you go - you have freshly grated coconut...
Alternatively, you could go buy a bag of the sweet stuff...but that is just not as much fun!!
2 comments:
That's awesome!!! I am definitely going to have to try this once I have a bigger food processor...who has me for Christmas?? :)
had fresh coconut once--didn't think it was worth the effort--and I wasn't the one doing the opening. heehee But you rock girl--power tools in the kitchen. although the health food store in town sells coconut that is fresher than Walmarts--it's really good toasted on strawberry ice cream drizzled with dark chocolate hershey syrup. Yum, yum.
Post a Comment