Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Bean & Cheese Burritoes

I decided I was going to blog our dinner tonight . . . no matter how unglamourous it ended up being. So here you go.

This is actually one of our favorites. The kids absolutely love these things. Whole wheat tortillas boost the fiber count sky high. (I used white ones, though. They're stinking cheap at Costco) And they consume the vegetables involved greedily. Tonight they were reviewing their knowledge of the food pyramid--seeing how the meal fit into it. They determined it covered all the categories fairly well. Cute.

Anyhow, on with the food.

First you take the onions


and you cook em, you cook em, you cook em.


Then you unload all of the refried bean goodness from the can. Cook till warm.


You put it in the tortilla, top with cheese and bake for 10 minutes.


Top with desired toppings. We had green onions, lettuce, tomato, sour cream and salsa.


The finished product.


Simple. Delicious.

And gone.

Recipe:

1 large onion, chopped
1 T cooking oil
1 large can refried beans
grated cheddar cheese
8 flour tortillas

Preheat oven to 350.

Cook the onion in hot oil until tender. Add the beans. Warm through. Spoon about a 1/2 cup of bean mixture down middle of tortilla. Sprinkle desired amount of cheese on top of beans. Fold up. Cook on a cookie sheet for 10 minutes. Serve with desired toppings.

(from Better Homes and Garden Cookbook)

1 comment:

Kim and Joel said...

Another thing we didn't really grow up with....but one of my absolute favorites, now...I think it started when I had my first frozen bean burrito when Joel and I were dating...hmmm - not bad :) (I know, that is kind of gross),but the real thing is so yummy! I love beans.

Okay, I keep saying what food we didn't grow up with....but we did grow up with amazing amazing food... just the cheese, for instance...cracker barrel was all that I knew, lucky lucky children we were.