Friday, October 24, 2008
Sugar Donuts
I didn't take pictures of the process of making these delicious donuts because I wanted to make sure that they were going to turn out. Oh did they!!! These are so easy and so yummy and not so great for you! I was going through all of Grandma's magazine pages that she gave me and I found this recipe. I thought about Grandma all day yesterday, it was kinda hard for me! So in memory of her and all her magazine clippings I made this and a tuna casserole that was also in the pile. I will show that one later...
3 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 large eggs yolks
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup milk
6 cups vegetable oil, for frying ( I used canola oil )
COATING:
1/2 cup superfine sugar blended with 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon ( I used regular sugar and also double this, but had plenty of left over.)
1) In medium size bowl, whisk together the 3 1/2 cups of flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
2) In large bowl, lightly beat yolks on medium speed. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating until pale and slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Mix in butter. Add flour mixture alternately with milk, stirring with wooden spoon until combined.
3) On well-floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll dough into 1/2 inch thickness. Let rest for 15 minutes.
4) Meanwhile, heat oil to 365* (a cube of bread will be browned and crisp after 1 minute) (it takes longer then I thought it would to heat up) in a heavy- duty saucepan over medium-high heat.
5) Cut into doughnuts with 2 3/4-inch round cutter along with 3/4 inch round cutter for the centers. Gather scraps and re-roll if needed.
6)COATING: Place cinnamon-sugar in a small bowl. Carefully slip the doughnuts and doughnut holes, 3 or 4 at a time, into the hot oil. Fry until golden, turning once, about 2 to 3 minutes total per batch. Drain doughnuts on paper towel, then transfer still-warm doughnuts to cinnamon-sugar coating and roll to cover completely. Serve warm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Those look so yummy! Jon has wanted me to make donuts every year for Halloween and I have yet to do it. I just may this year and use this recipe.
Those do look great - aren't little donuts even better than big ones?
I had a grandma moment the other day, too. I miss her. I still have tons of clippings, also. I always just imagine her cutting them out so carefully.
Post a Comment